This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission. This helps support and improve my blog. See full disclosure here.
I really enjoy decorating and crafting. Combining these two is a great way to create unique pieces and save money at the same time! Every time I visit department stores such as TjMaxx, Pier1, and atHome, I find many decor products for our home. However, it can easily be very expensive just by buying two or three products alone! It is very tempting to buy everything because many store are carrying more and more farmhouse style products which is my biggest weakness. I am all about not breaking our monthly budget and enjoy things in life at the same time. That’s why my goal is to always find new ways to save money without going over our budget. This is the reason why I decided to start a new blog series called “Decorating on a Budget” to share with you different ways to transform products into expensive looking pieces.
The first post in this series is about giving basic Dollar Tree items an makeover. There are many decorating items at Dollar Tree but most of the time they sell the same products or they tend to look too cheap. However, this is necessarily not a problem! In this post I will show you how to transform Dollar Tree frames into expensive and unique looking decor pieces.
What you need:
- Wall decal stickers ($1.00/each at Dollar Tree)
- White poster board ($0.50/each at Dollar Tree)
- Frame 5 x 7 ($1.00/each at Dollar Tree)
- Satin Acrylic Craft Paint in the color “Cloud” by Martha Stewart ($2.29)
TIPS: You can purchase the Martha Stewart paint at Michael’s and use a 40% off coupon to save more money! That’s what I always do!
- Start of by removing the backside, glass etc. from the frame.
- Paint the frame with any color you want. I used the color “Cloud” by Martha Stewards’s product Satin Acrylic Craft Paint. There are 78 other colors available!
- Let the paint dry for at least an hour before adding the second coat.
- Place the backside of the frame on the white poster board to outline and cut the background for the frame.
- Use any wall stickers from the Dollar Tree and place them however you want on the white paper board.
- Place the glass back on frame, add your new white background with the stickers you have chosen, and lastly, place the backside of the frame and seal back the frame.
This project is so easy to make and the only thing that is time consuming is the painting because you have to wait for a while between each coat. Also, I only spent around six dollars for both projects. Lastly, the best part is you cannot tell the that this project was made by using almost only Dollar Tree products.
What do you think about the frames? Do you want to see more of this type of series on the blog? Please leave a comment below! Your opinion is very valuable to me! Thank you!